Baking has always been somewhat of a challenge to me, not that I don’t like to do it but I am not particularly good at baking. My cookies don’t always come out chewy enough or my cakes sometimes lack enough density and moisture. So when I decided to take on the challenge of baking a gluten free apple tart from scratch I knew I had my work cut out for me. It took me a couple of times before my crust turned out crispy and cooked all of the way through but, three times is the charm!
Making a gluten free crust is such a challenge because you must mix the proper ratio of different types of flour to achieve the best consistency. So I am here to alleviate (hopefully) the pressure of achieving a great crust and overall tart by giving you the step by step instructions…READY… SET…GO!
First off you need the following:
Tart Pan & Wax Paper
- 4-5 Golden Delicious Apples, peeled and cored (these are usually the best to cook with b/c of their crisp, tart flavor) then sliced into medium-thick slices.
- 1 egg
- 1 tbls cold water
- 1/2 cup of butter (cold)
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 cup all purpose GF baking mix (Bob’s Redmill is my choice) http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-all_purpose-baking-flour.html
- 1/4 cup almond meal (this helps add a nutty flavor to the crust)
- Combine butter and salt in a mixer until smooth
- Add egg, water flour and almond meal combine until mixture begins to ball
- Scrape the mixture onto the wax paper (make sure the wax paper has been dusted with GF flour prior). Roll the mixture into a ball and sprinkle with flour.
- Shape the flour into a small disk and place in the refrigerator for approximately 30 min to 1 hour until firm.
- After you have removed the dough from the refrigerator, lay it between 2 fresh pieces of wax paper that have been lightly dusted with flour and roll out the dough.
- Remove the top piece of wax from the dough and place on the top of the tart pan.
- Peel back the other layer of wax paper and gently press the dough into the pan. Roll the dough lightly out on the edges, then use your thumb to set the dough into the tart pan divots; see photo below:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Now the fun part! APPLES!! In a large bowl mix the cut apples with some sugar, cinnamon or allspice and let set for a few minutes.
- Begin placing the apples into the tart pan in a clockwise direction (I am picky on design) 😉
- Then brush the rim of the crust with melted butter, this will aid in browning the crust and give it a nice buttery flavor.
- Now you are one step away from appley goodness! Place your tart into your preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes check your apples and crust, if they have yet to brown and the juices are not bubbling leave it in for another 10 minutes. But keep an eye on it because the last thing you want is a burned crust and apples.
Voila! My final result: